<$Romeo Kids First$>
This is the blog of Jennifer White, Romeo, Michigan. I am a trustee-elect to the Romeo Board of Education. My 4 year term begins July 9, 2007. I will use this blog to post my personal thoughts on the school district happenings, this will allow the community to be kept informed of my views. I will not be serving as a board spokesperson, these will be my individual views.
Thursday, March 22, 2007
High School Reform - Who is being reformed, our children or the education process?
High school reform - so what are the graduation requirements?

I attended a meeting on Monday night, March 19, 2007 at Romeo High School where the Assistant Principal of RETC and the Assistant Superintendent of Romeo Community Schools gave a presentation to parents and students about the current high school reform/new graduation requirements for the Class of 2011 - the current eighth grade students! At this meeting, a lot of conflicting information was presented, and I asked some follow up questions regarding the purchase of books for students (can you believe that there are not enough books for the kids in the core classes, such as math?) for these newly mandated classes for this exceptionally large class. The answer I received was "No - not at this time"...so when do they plan on buying books, the second week of school? The administration knows that these students are coming up to the high school, they know what classes they are required to take, so buy the books!!!!

Other school districts have taken a look at changing to trimesters, student support services, etc., and I question whether RCS has looked at these options. We cannot fail this first class of students, and we must be certain of their success under this new law. I welcome your opinions, comments and concerns!
posted by Jennifer L. White @ 9:41 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me



Name: Jennifer L. White
Home: Michigan


See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives

Links
Powered by

BLOGGER