<$Romeo Kids First$>
This is the blog of Jennifer White, Romeo, Michigan. I am a trustee-elect to the Romeo Board of Education. My 4 year term begins July 9, 2007. I will use this blog to post my personal thoughts on the school district happenings, this will allow the community to be kept informed of my views. I will not be serving as a board spokesperson, these will be my individual views.
Friday, May 25, 2007
Bondary Modification Deserve Discussion
Boundary Modifications Deserve Discussion.

Two months ago a boundary modification committee was formed to address the building capacity discrepancies that exist in the north and south ends of the district. According to the Romeo Observer, "the committee was made up of the 6 elementary principals, 2 middle school principals, and two parents from each elementary building. The committee met 5 times over a period of two months and came up with 5 plans".

The 5 scenarios and the agenda for the upcoming May 14th meeting, stating "boundary modification presentation", were online May 11th, Friday morning. But the agenda changed Friday afternoon, and the scenarios were removed. I raised this issue during the public comment portion of the May 14th meeting, and our superintendent stated he sent a letter home to parents that stated "for many reasons, now is not the time".

I'm curious what the many reasons might be, and why now is not the time.
Discussing this issue really seems to be in the best interest of the children. Many options for boundary changes exist that will relieve class size in the south end of the district, and potentially find some desperately needed savings. If there are indeed any benefits to boundary changes, I'm worried that removing this item from the agenda now is likely to end any hope of implementing any changes for next year because the board would be ill-advised to make these changes without adequate public discussion, and careful planning would be needed in insure a smooth transition.

If there aren't any benefits, then the reasons should be made clear to the public, and board's attention should be directed to other matters. But it's unclear how a delay benefits anyone.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will make it to the June 11, 2007, agenda.
posted by Jennifer L. White @ 2:02 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me



Name: Jennifer L. White
Home: Michigan


See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives

Links
Powered by

BLOGGER